Wednesday, March 5, 2014

One Brain, Two Hemispheres

So we all know we have a brain and that it is basically the control system of our entire body, but how many of you know that our brain consists of two hemispheres and that each hemisphere specializes in different functions and parts of our body? Don’t worry this week I will be talking about the two hemispheres in our brain and their input.

In order to begin explaining what each hemisphere is responsible for you must understand that the two hemispheres are connected through the corpus callosum which allows them to communicate. It is the corpus callosum that enables brain lateralization as well. In other words the work is divided between both hemispheres with the exception of the trunk and facial muscles, which both hemispheres control.

Initially you would think that the right hemisphere is responsible for our right side and vice versa, but guess what!? That is not how it works, turns out its kind of the opposite! Surprisingly enough each brain hemisphere is connected to skin receptors and muscles on the opposite side. An example of this would be hearing, both hemispheres receive the information from both ears yet, they receive stronger information from the contralateral ear.

Let's further talk about what's each hemisphere's forte.

The Right Hemisphere

This hemisphere can recognize emotions in others and spatial relationships better than the left hemisphere. The right hemisphere tends to look more on overall patterns as well as holistic thinking. Below are listed a couple of dominant functions of the right hemisphere

* Spatial abilities
* Art, Music
* Visual Imagery
* Cognitive Functioning
* Face Recognition
* Creative Thinking
* Nonverbal

The Left Hemisphere

This hemisphere specializes more in language, and logic. I also listed a couple of dominant functions of the left hemisphere.

* Science and Math
* Reasoning
* Writing
* Organization
* Abstract Thinking
* Details
* Verbal


Even though each hemisphere emphasizes on different functions they do work together. Yet, some people tend to be more left brain oriented, vice versa, or simply equally oriented by both. Want to know if you are right or left brain dominant? How about you test yourself with the following:

If you said yellow you could be left brain dominant,
but if you said green you are right brain dominant.
Name the color of the first word on the image below out loud... How hard was that?





On the video below, you will be asked to concentrate on the nose, give it a try and let me know what image was more dominant. (I can't talk more about it before you see it or I will spoil it for you!)



 So what did you all think, are you left or right brain dominant? Comment below and let me know! If you want to learn a little more or you simply want to understand something better feel free to take a look at the links below they are definitely excellent educative websites and videos.

References:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qi5_dANWYo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCiVXQUhhRs

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading you blog I like how you explained, "Initially you would think that the right hemisphere is responsible for our right side and vice versa, but guess what!? That is not how it works, turns out its kind of the opposite! Surprisingly enough each brain hemisphere is connected to skin receptors and muscles on the opposite side. An example of this would be hearing, both hemispheres receive the information from both ears yet, they receive stronger information from the contralateral ear." I further liked how you descried the brain's hemispheres.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your post, especially the little test. I guess according to the video I am a left-hemisphered type person, which I believe is accurate. I have also been better at logic and reasoning than the other features that would depict a right-hemsiphere dominant type person. It was really interesting, and quite informative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your post to be very interesting and fun. I took both tests and it turns out that I am a left brain dominant person. I think it is sort of accurate since I am really good with science, math, and writing. I am also very good in organization and details. It is very interesting how the brain works. When I was younger I thought that the right side of the brain controlled the right side of the body. I mean it seems logical. But in reality it is the opposite. Something new to me was the fact that both hemispheres control the trunk and the facial muscles. Even if both sides have different tasks, they do some work together.

    ReplyDelete